Last night we had the opportunity to participate in the Lamb Watch at Gale Woods Farm where I work. You get to stay in the barn from 6pm until midnight during lambing season to hopefully watch the lambs be born and assist if necessary. Basically, you stand around watching the sheep butts. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.
We got there about 7:30pm and one ewe (a female sheep) was in the corner showing signs of being in labor. After about 45 minutes her water broke and we were watching very intently. About 35 minutes later the first lamb came out. I cleaned off her face and the mom began to clean her off. Lauren was absolutely amazed at what was going on. Noah could have cared less.
After 20 minutes we still hadn't seen a 2nd lamb (the ultrasound said she was suppose to have at least 2) but the water sac was out. Just as I called the farm manager to tell him what was going on, we saw another pair of hooves. It appeared that the lamb was coming out backwards and since so much time had elapsed since the first one was born, the farm manager told me to "glove up and pull". I pulled the second lamb out and just as I had it cleaned off, Dave said "there is a 3rd one". The third lamb was significantly smaller than the other 2. Lamb #1 weighed 5.5 lbs, Lamb #2 weighed 6.5 lbs and Lamb #3 weighed 2.5 lbs. All the lambs were girls. Sooo cute.
What an amazing experience for all of us. We can't wait to do it next year!



1 comment:
That is an amazing expierence! How cool
Post a Comment